Food for a person suffering from diabetes is paramount to have a good quality of life. Certain foods should be avoided and include prescribed medications to maintain blood glucose balance and not jeopardize health.
Then, we leave a list of seven foods that you should avoid overeating if you have diabetes, but it also works for people who do not suffer from this disease, because it helps them not to control their sugar levels.
– Drinks with high sugar content. The daily consumption of soft drinks and other beverages made from industrial sources considerably increase the risk of metabolic diseases, as the study cites “The consumption of sugary soft drinks, not diet, is positively associated with the progression of insulin resistance and prediabetes “made by scientists in Massachusetts, the intake of these beverages, increases the possibility of developing pre-diabetes .
– Honey or natural syrups. Although honey is natural, it is a source of glucose and fructose, according to the study “Consumption of honey, sucrose and high fructose corn syrup produces similar metabolic effects in glucose-tolerant and intolerant individuals” by the “Journal Nutrition” “, honey and natural syrups raise blood glucose very quickly (which is the measure of concentration of free glucose in the blood) and, above all, have negative effects for the patient who has diabetes .
– White bread and refined cereals. They are processed foods that when processed lose a large amount of fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants; besides that, a lot of sugar is added. The study “Effect of food to carry on levels of blood glucose in patients with diabetes mellitus type 1 intensive insulin therapy” that made Australian scientists, in February 2009, showed that these food processed with high sugar content, not They are recommended if we seek to avoid a rapid rise in blood sugar.
Our nutrition specialist Fernanda Alvarado mentions that the flours contain no amount of fiber, which causes a rise in sugar.
– Commercial snacks. These foods contain refined flours or cereals and are very high in sugars and also usually contain trans fats. A study published for the magazine Obesity revealed that the consumption of these fried foods in monkeys reduces the sensitivity to insulin and increases the risk of suffering from this disease.
– Fruit juices. A study by researchers from the United Kingdom, United States, and Singapore concluded that it is much better to eat whole fruits such as grapes, apples, and cranberries than their juices because they increase blood glucose considerably. Fernanda Alvarado also includes sugary drinks, due to the process they undergo and the sweeteners they use for their preparation.
– Fried food. The foods that reach high-temperature cooking can throw toxic substances. A study funded by the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, done by US scientists, indicates that the intake of these foods causes insulin resistance or diabetes.
– Coffee. According to an article published on the page of the Mexican Diabetes Federation by Dr. Stan de Launch, a diabetes mellitus specialist and diabetes educator, coffee contains caffeine and, in turn, reduces the body’s sensitivity to diabetes. insulin, causing the level of glucose in the blood to rise.